Skip to content

A Carbon Monoxide Death in Vermont

March 1, 2013

This week we had a Carbon Monoxide death; a 17-year-old man lost his life. Remembering Logan Newell at a candlelight vigil, the group was encouraged to share memories. “He loved everybody so much. He was always the one to say ‘Hey bud, I love you – because he did.” There were stories about his sense of humor, his generosity, his loyalty and his mischief. He was a hard worker, he loved barbecue and he loved to work on his car. Logan’s mother told the crowd: “Let everyone say you love each other right before you go to bed.”

Logan Newell had been snowboarding with a friend. His friend dropped him off at the Park and Ride, and was the last one to see him alive. Logan was found unresponsive at the Park and Ride; it’s speculated that he was letting his car warm up when he succumbed.  He had an exhaust leak in his 2002 VW Jetta, which was allowing Carbon Monoxide to leak into the passenger compartment. He knew he had an exhaust leak.  He had made plans to fix it this weekend.  This weekend will never come for Logan.

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless poisonous gas. It is a byproduct of combustion, so is found in the exhaust system of cars. In cold weather, the CO emissions in cars rises dramatically since it takes more fuel to start in the cold and some emission control devices don’t work as well in the cold.  Symptoms of CO poisoning – drowsiness, fatigue and slight nausea are not alarming – that’s why it’s sometimes called the silent killer.

This got me thinking about all the old “beater” cars out there. They’re inexpensive to buy, for some they’re an exciting challenge to fix up. An exhaust leak can happen in any car, but I expect that older cars are more susceptible to having it leak into the passenger area. How can we keep this tragedy from repeating itself?

Advertisements
4 Comments leave one →
  1. March 13, 2013 6:35 am

    Thank you for your post, I look for such article along time,today i find it finally.this
    postgive me lots of advise it is very useful for me .i will pay more attention to you ,i hope
    you can go on posting more such post, i will support you all the time.

    Carbon Dioxide Detectors

  2. March 1, 2013 4:28 pm

    I am so sorry for the family and friends of this young man. This is a tragic reminder for all of us.

  3. March 1, 2013 3:29 pm

    I wonder how well a battery-powered CO alarm would work in a car? Might be models already made for use in vehicles. Just a thought.

  4. Anonymous permalink
    March 1, 2013 3:12 pm

    Wishing for time to go backwards for this young man -so sad. Thank you Gail for sharing this, let’s hope it helps prevent anything like this from happening again.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: